Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Project 2. Event Map/ Short vs. Long Time




For our second project in my time class we were supposed to make something which followed the concept, short time vs long time. We were supposed to take something which is long time and juxtapose it with something which had been there for a shorter time as opposed to something which has been present for years.

I wanted to do something 2-D as I had already done something 3-D in my previous project. The first thing which felt long time to me was New York City and nature. So I drew a tree which depicted central park and from its branches came out some of New York's landmarks. As the city has been there forever and so has the park/nature in the city I wanted to find something which is short time in the city itself. So I thought of birds and migration, so I laser cut wooden doves and pasted them on top of the drawing in a pattern that they are flying out from the city. I wanted the birds to evoke the life in the city which keeps changing, as people are not here forever, they migrate and migration is a short process. But the buildings and nature stay.

I used transparent sheet that covered the landmarks keeping it a mystery was was underneath and once you opened the flap it had facts about the landmark and since how long its been around. This also made it interactive to the viewer.

Durning my critique people had several outlooks which agreed on the fact that the city is long term, but the short term was not clear enough so I had to explain. As opposed to others who's work clearly depicted the two different concepts. I was also told that I had too many ideas and somewhere thats what made my migration concept get lost. So I should have either elaborated on city vs nature or migration as a separate concept.

This project really made me think more about my purpose in the city that even I am just here for a short time and nothing for humans is ever permanent. Life takes you so many different paths and the paths may have been there long time that we probably looked right through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment